Red de Mujeres Afro-latinoamericanas, Afrocaribeñas y de la Diáspora, Encuentro Diaspora Afro, Where and When I Enter, the Caribbean Cultural Center & African Diaspora Institute and the Afrolatin@ Project invite you to attend a panel discussion
MONDAY SEPTEMBER 22, 2014
"THE STATE OF BLACK WOMEN IN LATIN AMERICA"
Altagracia Balcácer Molina (Dominican Republic)
Paola Yañez Inofuentes (Bolivia)
Nedelka Lacayo (Honduras)
Yvette Modestin, Moderator (Panama)
Opening Remarks: Dr. Marta Moreno Vega, Caribbean Cultural Center & African Diaspora Institute
WILLIAMSBURG MUSIC CENTER
367 BEDFORD AVE. @ SOUTH 6th
J-M-Z Train to Marcy Ave.
Reception with Live Performance by Mai-elka Prado & Poetry reading by Monica Carrillo to follow.
Come hear activists from the Network of Afro-latinamerican, Afro-Caribbean and Diaspora women as they share their experiences and discuss their work to raise the visibility and improve the lives of women in their communities. It has been well documented that when women are empowered, communities prosper. They will also provide an interim report on their progress as collaborators in the MY World / World We Want 2015 campaign. With the launch of the International Decade of People of African Descent and the Sustainable Development Goals both in 2015 this will be a timely discussion.
"why be straight and cis when u can be queer and tr-"
hi lets not treat lgbtq+ identities like fashion trends
two dads tell their adopted son that he is adopted
he looks at them and bursts into tears
"i thought you were my fathers … but you were just faux pas"
Kids please don’t think that it’s unusual or special to be dating someone with whom you can watch netflix and eat pizza and hold hands and also have hot sex with
It concerns me when I see millions of notes on a post that’s like “fuck me hard but also be sweet with me”
Like what kinds of relationships are you in that you think this is a revolutionary thing to ask
THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THING I’VE EVER SEEN
Skyrim - Enhanced Night Skies
Scotland has been building up to voting on whether they should become Independent from the United Kingdom since 2012, the Idea’s been in the works since the ’50s. Yes voters want to be independent, No voters want to stay in the UK.
The parties backing Yes are the snp, the greens and the socialists, the parties backing No (also known as better together or no thanks) are the tories, labour, lib dems aka the big 3 of shittery
reasons scotland would want independence
- our votes literally don’t count seriously like in a mentaphor you guys would understand it would be as though our entire country voted democrat but the republicans still got into government because the uk is heavily imbalanced
- literally the population of the whole of scotland = the population of london.
- don’t want to be a part of illegal wars
- the maj. of scotland has a socialist sentiment so you could argue we don’t want to be associated w the capitalist uk
- england has been storing their nuclear weapons here for years, making us a target for attack, because they dont care about scottish lives
- basically used scotland as lab rats for taxes and shitty policies so england didnt suffer
- we have free tuition which the english govt want to take away
- we have free healthcare but westminster wants to privatise it which will badly affect scotland as the poorest nation
during the run up to the independence referendum, (referred to as #indyref for shorthand, &please use the indyref tag to talk abt these issues) the yes campaign released hugely detailed plans for an Independent Scotland, the no side produced nothing but scaremongering and outright lies about mysterious ‘new powers’ scotland would get if we stayed in the uk.
There were huge debates which took ages and i cba hashing out again but basically Yes had a more vocal support.
on the 18th sept we all voted and last night/this morning the results came in as an overwhelming result for No. this is bad as it means scotland is stuck in the racist, imperialist uk which supports illegal wars and looks like it’s going to be run by fascists by the next general election. here’s what happened in the horus following this morning;s announcement
- alex salmond, 1st minister & supporter of independence, resigns
- 'new powers' vanishing into thin air as ed miliband says he won;t sign off of them
- evidence of rigged votes in favour of the no side
- no voters who won the referendum rioting in glasgow, burn the scottish flag
- live feed to glasgow tho it looks quiet in george square atm, violence has taken to the streets
- more on ggow
i don’t know much more yet because this is the first day since the vote + i had no sleep after watching the results till 7am so i’ll be periodically reblogging more stuff as it unfolds. followers in west lothian and glasgow keep safe and maybe hide or obscure your yes flags/stickers to keep yourself safe
basically a lot of uncertainty, people have been literally stabbed and businesses burned down. keep an eye on the indyref and scotland tags + my blog if you want to know the latest. scotland’s time zone is UTC+0.
1932, Chinese-American pilots Hazel Ying Lee and Virginia Wong (via You May Not Know About The First Chinese Americans, But You Should)
I should have started drawing them forever ago
(click on it for better resolution ugh)
My yes voting neighbours car has just been smashed by a squad of 12 no voters. It’s suspected they’ve smashed about 4 more on the way. My uncle almost got attacked for trying to chase them off. I’m in Livingston and the police are not coming
This is not Glasgow this is 35 miles away
Please everyone in Scotland brace yourselves and hide all yes stickers